nick@nickroseguitars.com

September 13, 2008

Fashionable Technology

In my last post, I mentioned the book Fashionable Technology. Well when I was In London, I went to the Tate Modern. Apart from seeing the most amazing art, I visited the book shop. After walking to one side of the shop, the first book i picked up, happened to be the most important book I have ever seen! Fashionable Technology by Sabine Seymour.


This book has helped me so much in my research into using technology in jewellery. The author wanted to convey her concept on the amalgamation of technology and fashion.

"The theoretical discourse in this book intends to provide an initiation to fashionable technology. It addresses the major concepts and provides a detailed bibliography that points to additional publications. The list of materials, blogs, institutes and events affords a starting point for further exploration in the field."

Seymour,S. 2008. Fashionable Technology.

New York: Springer-Verlag/Wien




One of the most inspirational people that I have found in this book, relating to what I am doing, is Leah Buechley. She is making and exploring the very things that i would like to do. Her Beaded LED Bracelets are totally amazing and the ideas that she has about e-textiles, and soft circuits are incredible.
Leah Buechley is a post doctoral researcher in Computer Science at the University of Colorado at Boulder where she works with the
Craft Technology Group. Her research explores the intersection of computational and physical media, focusing on computational textiles or electronic textiles (e-textiles) - soft, flexible, fabric-based computers.

I've been wanting to equip a hoodie with a LED display, and have just come across this page on Leah Buechley's site on how to make your own wearable LED display
. So this will help me allot, as I only have a basic understanding of electronics, and have been relying on friends who are computer science students, to help me out.

No comments: